Not a big news but coffee is the second most popular beverage globally, right after water! As comforting as it is, there is something you should know. That steaming cup you cannot resist is a major contributor to teeth discoloration. Yes, coffee has contents like tannins that can stain your teeth over time. But fret not! With professional whitening technique, you can rejuvenate your smile! Let’s dig into more details.
Why Does Coffee Stain Teeth?
Tannins are organic compounds that contribute to the slightly bitter taste and dry feeling inside your mouth after a cup. They do have antioxidants, which have some health benefits, but they also have a dark side – literally. Tannins have the ability to stain your teeth enamel.
As soon as your teeth come into contact with tannins, they start turning yellow. With time, this leads to significant tooth discoloration like the presence of black or brown spots on teeth.
How Coffee Impacts Oral Health in More Ways?
Coffee’s staining properties are well-known by masses; however, the acidity it has, takes a toll on your tooth enamel. This layer is a protective shield for your teeth, and when exposed to highly acidic drinks, erodes away leading to tooth sensitivity or even decay!
What Can Dentists Do For Tooth Discoloration?
Here is how our dentist, Dr. Arunkumar, an award winner by the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, remedies tooth staining due to coffee or other triggers.
Professional Teeth Whitening
The best way forward in this situation is professional teeth whitening. This route is potent and provides a rapid solution to this issue. Professional whitening in our Houston office involves use of custom-fit trays that have whitening gels in it and placed on to your teeth. Then, they are boosted by an LED light to fast-track the process.
You must know that the results last long. But not forever. Therefore, practicing good oral hygiene along with the use of whitening toothpaste can help a lot. They contain ingredients like sodium fluoride, hydrogen peroxide, and even baking soda to deal with stubborn stains.
Preventing Tooth Discoloration
We understand you cannot go cold turkey; that is why, here are a few things that you can do to prevent teeth staining for the longest time.
- Brush Your Teeth: The most basic step you can take is to thoroughly brush your teeth after your coffee fix. This significantly helps to remove coffee residue and tannins from your mouth. Consider using a whitening toothpaste for an added brightening effect.
- Invest in an Electric Toothbrush: Up your brushing game with the help of an electric toothbrush. These devices help you brush for a longer time without tiring your arm or hand.
- Rinse Your Mouth: When you are up on your feet during traveling and cannot brush your teeth right away, a quick rinse with clean water can help a great deal.
- Eat While You Drink: It is a good idea to munch on your favorite snack with coffee. Eating triggers saliva production, which helps in naturally washing away those pesky tannins. Choose foods items like apples, pears or cucumbers – these crunchy options actively help prevent stains.
- Try Drinking Coffee with a Straw: There is another way to enjoy your coffee, and that is through a straw to avoid its direct contact with your teeth. This way, coffee does not touch your teeth, leaving no chance of staining.
- Visit Your Dentist: Regular checkups are essential for your oral health. They offer tailored suggestions and tips that serve your unique dental needs, ensuring problems are eliminated for good.
All in all, coffee may be your daily ritual, but it does not have to come at the cost of your smile. With the treatment option and preventive tips detailed above, enjoy your coffee to its fullest. If you want to learn more about teeth whitening, get in touch with the dental experts from Smile Unique Dental and Orthodontics; we are just a call away. Dial (832) 391-8660 to connect with us or drop by our clinic. We are located at 19355 Katy Freeway STE 600, Houston, TX 77094.