Fluoride Treatment in Houston, TX
What is Fluoride?
It also helps that fluoride naturally inhibits bacterial growth inside the mouth that can seriously harm your teeth and gums.
How Does Fluoride Work?
Fluoride’s benefits are well-studied, and it works in the following ways:
- It changes the structure of tooth enamel in children under 7 and strengthens it, making it more resistant to acids.
- It produces higher-quality enamel that is better shielded against damage due to acids.
- It reduces the ability of oral bacteria to generate acid waste in the first place.
It prevents demineralization, and encourages remineralization. Demineralization occurs when tooth enamel is exposed to acids that degrade its structure, and remineralization reverses this process.
It is easy to get the benefits of fluoride through our fast and effective fluoride treatment in Houston and surrounding areas, allowing you to improve protection and increase the longevity of your teeth.
What Happens During A Fluoride Treatment?
Once the treatment is applied, you’ll be asked not to eat or drink anything for 30 minutes afterwards to allow the fluoride to work and penetrate the teeth.
Do I Only Need A Single Fluoride Treatment?
As with any dental procedure, it is important to have regular follow-up appointments to ensure the efficacy of the treatment. Your dentist might recommend you get a professional fluoride treatment every three, four or six months, or every year. If you are at particularly high risk of developing cavities, your dentist may prescribe a fluoride gel for you to use at home.
These are some of the factors that can worsen cavities and increase the risk of their development:
- Dry mouth or reduced saliva production
- Weak enamel
- A lack of professional dental care
- Poor oral hygiene
- Certain eating disorders
- Excessive drug/alcohol use
- Malnutrition or dietary deficiencies
If you feel like your teeth need additional protection, it’s never been faster and safer to get a fluoride treatment in Houston – call Smile Unique Dental and Orthodontics at (832) 391-8660 to schedule your appointment!