When we talk about wisdom teeth removal, incisions, and stitches are a part of the deal. Don’t worry; they are not painful and have a crucial step in holding the tissues back securely for recovery. But what happens after that? Do wisdom teeth stitches fall out or dissolve after weeks post-surgery?
What Happens to Wisdom Teeth Stitches After A Few Weeks? Do They Dissolve or Fall Out?
When you get your wisdom teeth out, dentists often use stitches to close the gum area. These tiny threads hold together the part of your gums, helping them heal up and save them from infections. But what happens to them after a few weeks?
The stitches usually dissolve on their own. You do not have to run for another appointment to take them out. Once you pass the one-week mark, these stitches slowly start disappearing all by themselves. They may first loosen up, hanging for dear life, and then, they are completely gone.
How Likely Are You To Get Dry Socket After Wisdom Teeth Stitches?
Now, you must have heard about dry sockets and their possibility after an extraction. Well, even with stitches, there is a minute chance of developing this condition after wisdom teeth removal. A dry socket is super painful and slows down healing time to a considerable extent. They can happen for a few reasons:
- Stitches fall out before they are supposed to.
- Infections around the surgical site increase the chances of a dry socket.
- If the blood clot dislodges.
Usually, stabbing pain after wisdom teeth extraction is a sign that a dry socket might be showing up. To avoid this discomfort, adhere to the aftercare instructions carefully. Do not smoke, use straws, or do heavy exercising for a little while after tooth extraction.
You do not want any hindrance during the first 24 hours after your procedure is done. Once you pass a day successfully, gently rinse your mouth with a saltwater solution. But make sure not to swish or spit!
Some other things to keep in mind:
- No Flossing or Brushing: The best thing you can do is give your mouth a break for at least 3 to 5 days. Steer clear of flossing and brushing near the extraction site. This prevents the healing scab from displacing and lowers the risk of infection or dry sockets.
- Stick to Soft Foods: Soft foods for the first few days, like soup, smoothies, mashed potatoes, yogurt, and scrambled eggs, help your stitches at the wisdom teeth extraction site to stay safe. Do not consume sticky, crunchy, and chewy edibles such as popcorn, nuts, and chewing gum, as all these can interfere with the healing process.
How Long Does It Take For The Hole To Heal After Wisdom Teeth Extraction?
Healing after wisdom teeth removal is not a one-night job. Even after your stitches on the gums dissolve, complete recovery takes time. The hole will take about 3 to 4 months to fully get better. Once your stitches are gone, resume regular eating habits and brushing and flossing routines.
If you want to learn more about post-extraction care, get in touch with the dental experts from Smile Unique Dental and Orthodontics. Dial (832) 391-8660 to connect with us or drop by our clinic. We are located at 19355 Katy Freeway STE 600, Houston, TX 77094.